Sunday, June 24, 2012

Paint Sculptures: Setup, Images and Edit

This is the setup I am currently using to take paint sculpture photos.  I have three flashes on the right all with diffusers and on their lowest power settings.  The white piece of paper next the the three flashes is blocking the light from hitting the black card background and the other piece of white paper is adding fill light with the help of another flash on the left to the left hand side of the speaker.  All the flashes are connected two the Camera Axe 4 in ports 1 and 2.  A microphone taped next to the speaker is triggering the delay in the Camera Axe and then the flashes.

To control most of the paint splatter I cut the bottom off a 1.25L fizzy drink bottle and  placed it on the speaker over the paint.  I cut the front and back out of the bottom of the bottle for the camera too shoot through.


These are some of the images straight from camera.  On the sides of the image is the bottom of the bottle which is easily edited out.

 I am going to buy some lube of some sort that does not mix with the paint to increase the shine and reflection on the membrane.





















I didn't like the look of the white membrane so I tried editing it to black.



I made it simple and used a brush in lightroom to under expose the membrane.

















These are some of the final images. 





I really like how they came out.  Some of the bases of the paint sculptures have also been brushed over and it makes the image look a little odd.  If I spent some more time on the images I could do a better job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger templates