Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Generating Frequencies

I needed a more organised and easy way to play tones, frequencies, harmonics or whatever else I am going to use.

I found a program called Signal Scope Pro that enabled me to generate single or multiple frequencies at a time and record those straight to an .aif file which could then go into GarageBand.

Signal Scope Pro has many other features that could come in use such as a basic sound level metre and octave band analyser which I can use to monitor the decibel level of each individual frequency of live sounds.
 Recording and saving short 0.5 second snippets of frequencies over a large range to test.  I recorded from 40-200 at an interval of 10hz because I am sure that this will be the range that produces the best results.


I imported all the frequencies into GarageBand where I can easily isolate an individual track with a frequency on it to play.

I zoomed in on the edit pannel all the way so I could view the wave form and see how the frequencies differ from each other.

The first photo shows 40 hertz.  The wave form is very spread out as it only has 40 cycles of the up and down motion at a 100% amplitude in GarageBand per second.

150hz to the left has 150 cycles per second (CPS) and this reflects in the display showing a wave form that is very tight and has a quick up and down motion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger templates