Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New Speakers / Glycerin / Latex Test

Whilst I was riding home from school today I saw these speakers on the side of the road, so I squished on in my bag and the other under my arm for the rest of the ride.
They are 8 ohm, 10 watt speakers which will work with the Sony amplifier that I have (even though it is too powerful for the speakers).















Pulled the cover off the from and was a little disappointed at how little vertical movement the cone of the speakers would be able generate.  But this just means I will have to have everything louder to create similar effects to other speakers.
Hooked the speakers up to the amp to test if they worked.  One of the smaller ones doesn't work and one of the larger ones has slight distortion, but that shouldn't be a problem for what I am doing unless I use more complex sounds.  The other two  have worked flawlessly so far.
Moved the amp and speakers upstairs and set them up to see what they could do.


















Setup the Camera Axe with the mic trigger and connected amp and laptop to my laptop.
I am using the large sheet of latex on this speaker to test it and also because the balloons I have wont be able to stretch over a speaker of this size (around 8inch)

Well as I thought there wasn't a huge deal of movement when using the same frequencies at similar volumes.  In this photo I used water instead of paint for the lower viscosity and thickness to see the most movement possible.









I put some paint on anyway too see what kind of effects it would create.  Nothing really happened apart from a few small jiggles over frequencies from 40-400hz at a high volume.





I wasn't sure if I would damage the amp by going to max volume and don't think its worth finding out so I dug out some glycerin from the cupboard and mixed some into the paint to see what kind of effect it would have.


I added more and more until it was approximately a 1:1 mix of glycerin and paint (I had already added water to thin the paint out a few days ago, but a lot of that had evaporated causing the paint to be at an odd thickness to what I would normally use).

I ended up just making a mess with the glycerin, although it did approximately double the continuous movement of the paint with a continuous sound.
I am going to try adding glycerin to the paint again with a better speaker and see how it compares to paint and water under the same conditions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger templates